Electron Microscopy Laboratory (EMi)
initially was established in 2001 and re-created in 2011 to provide electron microscopy services to departmental members as well as to UCLA Medical School and the UCLA research community. EMi provides consultations, advanced training, workshops and services in most modalities of the modern biological electron microscopy:
- Transmission electron microscopy (EM) of molecules, cells and tissues.
- Sample preparation.
- Plastic-embedding of cells and tissues.
- Cryo-Immuno EM, localization of markers by gold-labeled antibodies.
- Negative staining, visualization of individual molecules and their complexes.
- Cryo-ultrasectioning using Leica UC6/Fc ultramicrotome.
- Room-temperature ultrasectioning using Leica UCT ultramicrotome.
- High-resolution shadowing with tungsten.
- 3D reconstruction using single-particle and tomography approaches.
- High-pressure freezing and freeze-substitution.
EMi is supported by user fees, and provides services on a recharge basis. Interested parties are encouraged to contact Sergey Ryazantsev for an initial consultation (free of charge). At that time, we will discuss your specific EM needs and to jointly determine the EMi services most suitable for the project. Based on this consultation and prior to beginning the job, EMi will provide an agreement that clearly outlines the job, estimated cost and timeline. Collaboration is assumed on projects in which proprietary EMi techniques, materials etc. are used. EMi encourages long-term collaboration, joint grant applications, and partnerships.
Location: room B-220, CNSI
Head B.P, Zulaika M, Ryazantsev S, van der Bliek A.M. (2011) A novel mitochondrial outer membrane protein, MOMA-1, that affects cristae morphology in Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biol Cell. 22(6):831-41.
Peng L, Ryazantsev S, Sun R, Zhou Z.H. (2010) Three-dimensional visualization of gammaherpesvirus life cycle in host cells by electron tomography. Structure 13;18(1):47-58.
Gurlo T, Ryazantsev S, Huang CJ, Yeh M.W, Reber H.A, Hines OJ, O'Brien T.D, Glabe C.G, Butler P.C. (2010) Evidence for proteotoxicity in beta cells in type 2 diabetes: toxic islet amyloid polypeptide oligomers form intracellularly in the secretory pathway. Am J Pathol. 176(2):861-9.
Ohmi K, Kudo L.C, Ryazantsev S, Zhao H.Z, Karsten S.L, Neufeld E.F. (2009) Sanfilippo syndrome type B, a lysosomal storage disease, is also a tauopathy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 19;106(20):8332-7.
Ryazantsev S, Abuladze N, Newman D, Bondar G, Kurtz I, Pushkin A. (2007) Structural characterization of dimeric murine aminoacylase III. FEBS Lett. 1;581(9):1898-902.
October 17, 2013